Sunday, October 25, 2015

Blog #3 "Girls Rising" reflection

I've never been more regretful for how many mornings I've been cranky at the breakfast table because I thought it was too early to be up for school.  I feel ashamed about the countless wishes I made for snow due to the fact that school would be canceled.  Also, all the times I simply conveyed to my friends and teachers that I'd rather be sleeping than getting an education in the classroom.  Little did I know how desired of a place the classroom is and that girls just like me around the world would have traded places with me in a heartbeat.  The documentary "Girls Rising" has opened my eyes and made me grateful that knowledge has always been a constant in my life.  The incredible determinedness that these small girls possess inspires me to continue in school and to make the best of my learning.  Their desire to get an education was truly beautiful.  
In a world where in most countries male preference is a huge deal, girls are very oppressed in society.  These girls were not given fair opportunities to get the same education as boys in their society.  Weather is was because school was expensive like Wadley’s situation or that by the time girls turn 11 or 12 they are to be married and have families, prevents girls from getting a proper education.  The end of the film where one bright young woman discusses how she is change in the world almost brought tears to my eyes.  Something this moving resonates with me the most; yay for female empowerment!  
My grandma always emphasized the importance of an education growing up, she always said "knowledge is power" and that stayed with me forever. I don’t think I could even be going to college right now if she hadn’t helped me through school all these years.  I think knowledge is so important to her because when she was growing up boys and girls were still kept very separate in school. Less was expected of girls’ performance and girls had an entire different curriculum. For example, they learned to sew in school and taught them about family life.  My grandma's grandma didn’t even get to go to school.  I think the way my grandma has influenced me will reoccur in developing countries as women like the ones in the video teach their daughters and so forth.   We need to care and educate the women of society and i’m so excited that we are making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment